Azerbaijani and Armenian Forces: Situation of the War

Azerbaijani and Armenian Forces: Situation of the War

Azerbaijani and Armenian forces fought over the separatist region of Nagorno-Karabakh for a second day Monday. Both sides blame each other for resuming the attacks that reportedly wounded and killed dozens. Thus, the decades-old conflict has reignited.

The Azerbaijani Defense Ministry said that Armenian forces shelled the town of Tartar. Meanwhile, Officials of Armenia said that fighting continued overnight, and Baku resumed offensive operations in the morning.

Military officials of Azerbaijan talked with the Interfax news agency. They said that around 550 Armenian troops have been ‘destroyed (including wounded)’ in a claim that Armenia denied.

Fifty-eight service members on their side have died so far, according to officials in the predominantly Armenian enclave of Nagorno-Karabakh. On Sunday, the territory’s Defense reported two civilian deaths – a woman and her grandchild.

Injuries have around two hundred troops. Nevertheless, many of them were slightly hurt and have returned to action. That is what the Armenian Defense Ministry said. Azerbaijani authorities said that thirty-two civilians were wounded, and nine civilians were killed on their side. Ilham Aliyev is the Azerbaijani President. On Sunday, he said that  Baku’s forces have losses, too. Aliyev did not elaborate. 

On Sunday, a massive fight broke out in the region that lies within Azerbaijan. It has been under the control of ethnic Armenian forces backed by the Yerevan government since 1994 at the end of the separatist war.

Azerbaijani Side

The Congressional Armenian Caucus condemned the Azerbaijani military exercise. Moreover, they expressed concern in letters to Secretary of Defense Esper and Secretary of State Pompeo. The Congressional Armenian Caucus expressed concern about the $100 million allocations in United States security assistance to Azerbaijan. The Caucus noted that aid appears to have allowed Azerbaijan to shift resources towards offensive capabilities. Thus, Azerbaijan can further threaten regional stability and Armenian lives.

Attacks from Azerbaijani snipers on the Tavush region of Armenia are an ongoing occurrence. It led to multiple casualties and injuries of both Armenian military personnel and civilians. On March 30th, Azerbaijani fire injured two Armenian soldiers and a 14-year-old child in the Tavush village of Voskevan. On the May 13th, civilians in the Tavush village of Berkaber were the target of large caliber weapons. It led to the damage of homes. Nevertheless, there were no injuries.

In addition, the Azerbaijani military has been using civilians as human shields. They placed artillery in the Tvouz district close to Dondar Gushchu around six miles from the border. Moreover, Azerbaijan is launching cyberattacks on Armenian government websites.

In Baku, demonstrations have erupted with thousands of Azerbaijanis calling for war against Armenia. Protestors were demanding to end the quarantine and to start the war.

Turkey has close cultural and ethnic ties with Azerbaijan. Thus, it voiced unconditional support to Baku in the conflict. Turkey’s Foreign Minister declared that the Turkish people and the Republic of Turkey are with Azerbaijan with all their capabilities.

Today, Congressional condemnation of Azerbaijan’s latest attack against Armenia continued to grow. Reports emerged from the region of more than fifteen casualties during the worst cease-fire violation since April.  

That is the situation of the Karabakh conflict. Let us hope everything will get better soon. 

Comments Rating 0 (0 reviews)